Friday, November 26, 2010

A Traditional Thanksgiving?

Thanksgiving is a day to spend with family and friends to give thanks for the blessings we have had during the year and for people that are particularly meaningful to us. Along with those traditions, most Amerians also know the "traditional" Thanksgiving dinner that revolves around turkey and includes stuffing, potatoes, cranberry sauce, maybe some green beans and, of course, plenty of pumpkin and apple pie for dessert.

Every year when I was growing up my family followed the traditional Thanksgiving meal, either hosting the day at our house or going to other family members' houses. This year, a few weeks before Thanksgiving Day, my parents informed me that we would be having Thanksgiving dinner at a restaurant. I wasn't quite sure what to think. First I thought, "Well that's fine... I won't have to do much as far as helping to cook." Then I started to think, "Wait, what about everything we only make just for Thanksgiving... I'm going to miss out on mom's candied sweet potatoes!" I started to panic. This was going to be a disaster. Who goes out to eat on Thanksgiving?!

Not only was I a little anxious about the change my family was making but I began to worry what other people were going to think; I instantly assumed that people would judge me and my family for this choice to not hold a "traditional" Thanksgiving. Some of my friends found it strange and this added to my anxiety about what we were doing.

At the restaurant I began to understand that it really was not such a big deal. In fact, I accepted that what my family was doing was OK. Aside from the fact that I haven't eaten meat since July, I had never been a big fan of turkey. So when I got my plate of diver scallops with mushroom risotto and asparagus I knew I wasn't missing out on that much. A couple of my family members ordered the restaurant's turkey dinner special but the rest embraced our Italian taste buds and indulged in seafood, other meats and pasta.

My family did come back to my house for desserts and oh did we indulge in pumpkin, apple, pecan and chocolate cream pies. At the end of the night, I was happy with our Thanksgiving because even though we strayed from what we had done every year before, our eating habits didn't change the fact that we spent the day together giving thanks for our health and each others company.

No comments:

Post a Comment