Thursday, December 15, 2011

Meatballs

For about the past year and a half I have been, for the most part, a vegetarian. It really has been an interesting journey and was a switch that was not as difficult as it probably is for some. Honestly, even though I was brought up a carnivore, I think I was truly cut out to be a vegetarian. Lunch meat has always grossed me out. Just the thought of touching that slimy slice was enough to make me gag when I had to make lunch. Cravings for burgers or steaks weren't really crossing my mind frequently--or ever.

So, when I had the task of cooking chicken by myself for the first time in my life, the experience simultaneously became my last. After deciding I never wanted to have to touch raw meat ever again, it was a pretty effortless slip toward the road of veggies.

Up until now, it was the act of touching the raw meat itself that made my shoulders shake. Watching someone else do it wasn't a problem, but nonetheless I didn't really care to eat it, either. However, I recently was watching Giada on the Food Network (yes, she works with meat occasionally, but she's Italian and what can I say... I love food). Apparently, my raw meat watching tolerance had decreased significantly by the time I saw her recent show where she made meatballs.

Think about it: a BALL of MEAT. To meat lovers, that probably sounds like heaven. But to me, that sounds like a ball of slimy rawness that I do NOT want to be handling. At that point, I had to walk away from the television.

It was a day of mixed feelings. After all, I am Italian. And a culturally foundation was on the line. I've decided I will embrace seafood and cheese. I guess veganism is out of the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment